2020 NJSYO Concerto Competition Description and Requirements
Ben Ringer, Director
The third annual NJSYO Concerto Competition took place in February 2020 (date TBD). This competition was open to all students in the Symphonic Youth Orchestra. Contestants performed with piano accompaniment for a panel of guest judges; one winner was chosen to perform as soloist with the SYO on our end-of-year concert in 2020.*
Students are not eligible to win the NJSYO Concerto Competition in multiple years.
- Open to all students who are members of the SYO.
- Students may audition on ANY instrument, including instruments other than the one they play in the SYO.
- This is a solo competition; however, students performing concerto movements for multiple instruments will also be considered (e.g. Bach’s Concerto in D minor for 2 Violins, Mozart’s Sinfonia concertante in E-flat for wind quartet).
- Prepare/perform one movement of a standard concerto or solo piece that best showcases your abilities as a performer.
- All solo selections MUST include orchestral accompaniment, i. e. no unaccompanied pieces, no pieces for solo instrument and piano.
- Solo selections must be no longer than 6-8 minutes in length.
- All solos must be pre-approved by the Music Director; students must submit copies of their music for approval, INCLUDING PIANO ACCOMPANIMENT PARTS.
- Memorization of music is not required; however strong preference will be given to contestants who perform from memory.
- All students must perform with an accompanist.
- Contestants must give written notice of their intent to compete no later than November 14, 2019; notifications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- All copies of music must be submitted for pre-approval no later than November 21, 2019. Students are strongly encouraged to submit for consideration well in advance of November 21 in the event that their selection is not approved (this will allow time to consider other options).
- Contestants will be assigned a specific time slot for their audition in February; notifications will be sent by December 16, 2019 .
*Judges are not obligated to select a winner. Note that in 2020, the performance was given online.