April 12, 2023:
Auditions for Summer Programs will take place on Thursday, June 8th. Please see Audition Requirements and Information.
This summer, we will offer the SYO Summer Bridge Program, Summer Strings Bootcamp, and Woodwind & Brass Bootcamp.
August 1, 2022:
Auditions for Fall Programs will take place on Thursday, September 8th. Please see the “Audition Requirement and Information” and register via the tab on the “Home” page at the bottom.
This season we will have the PSO, ISO, SYO and Chamber Orchestra.
July 20, 2021:
Concert Youth Orchestra will not be offered for Fall 2021 registration;
Plans for return of the Intermediate String Orchestra
Due to restrictions on available space in the Middletown Arts Center due to damage sustained to the rehearsal areas, as well as the program not meeting its enrollment goals in recent years, the Concert Youth Orchestra is on indefinite hiatus. It is our hope that the CYO will retun to our programming in the near future, but we are unable to offer it for registration in Fall 2021.
Subject to sufficient enrollment, the NJSYO is planning to bring back its Intermediate String Orchestra, which will be led by Ms. Chelsey Dokus. This program will be offered on Thursday evenings following the PSO rehearsal. More information will be provided in the near future as it becomes available.
March 10, 2020:
Operations and Procedures for the New Jersey State Youth Orchestra
In Response to the COVID-19 Virus
The NJSYO’s volunteer Board is monitoring current news regarding the spread of the COVID-19 (novel Coronavirus). The health, safety, and well-being of our students, conductors, coaches, and volunteers is our top priority. We intend to follow guidelines issued by the World Health Organization, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Centers for Disease Control, the New Jersey Department of Health, and county and local health departments as they pertain to these developments. Please see https://www.middletownnj.org/608/Coronavirus-Information for more information.
Although we do not currently plan to suspend rehearsals or cancel performances, if the Middletown Health Department orders suspensions or cancellations, we will follow their instructions. The Middletown Arts Center (MAC) is currently following their instructions regarding sanitation measures and resources within its facility for students and participants in all its programs. We will continue to work with the MAC as it strives to maintain a healthy environment.
If the Middletown School District orders a closure, the NJSYO will suspend rehearsals as well. Decisions by other neighboring school districts, venues, or government agencies at the municipal, district, county, or state level may also prompt the Board to suspend rehearsals or cancel performances. Finally, the Board may decide to suspend rehearsals or cancel performances independent of these considerations. These decisions will be made if the Board determines that suspension or cancellation is in the best interests of our students, employees, volunteers, and families.
Please note that the NJSYO attendance policy is hereby suspended for all groups until further notice. We request that you notify the Conductor when your student will be absent.
If a rehearsal or concert has been canceled, you will be notified by email. Please make sure that the contact information for all parents and guardians is up to date.
· If your child’s school district is closed, please notify the NJSYO and do not bring the child to attend rehearsals during the closure.
· If your child is ill, or has been ill within the previous 24 hours, do not send your child to rehearsal. Students who are actively coughing for other reasons should also not attend rehearsal.
· If your child is diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus, notify the NJSYO immediately and do not have the child attend rehearsals for the length of time recommended by the CDC.
· If your child or anyone within your immediate household travels to a country which is at CDC-Level 2 or higher, notify the NJSYO and do not let your child attend rehearsal for 14 days afterwards. A list of affected countries may be consulted at https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel .
Please ensure that your child understands that the following rules must be followed.
· Students are not permitted to share musical instruments or allow others to borrow them.
· Brass musicians must bring a towel or pad and ensure that condensate is cleaned up properly and immediately.
· Students are not permitted to share food or drink at rehearsals. Adults should also refrain from doing so.
· Students, conductors, coaches and volunteers should wash hands before and after rehearsals. Bring and use personal hand sanitizer as needed.
· Do not cough or sneeze without first covering your mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve.
· Limit physical contact with other people.